Those pesky negatives (revisited)

Wilson Gray hwgray at EARTHLINK.NET
Tue Aug 10 19:01:37 UTC 2004

On Aug 10, 2004, at 12:34 PM, Dennis R. Preston wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Dennis R. Preston" <preston at MSU.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Those pesky negatives (revisited)
> --------
>
>> larry,
>

> I have the sneaking suspicion that some not familiar with the sense
> of "negative" you use here may have trouble finding three; I offer
> the following translation:
>
> They've NOT ever NOT continued to NOT live up to our expectations.

Almost. They've NOT ever NOT continued NOT to live up to our
expectations.

_That_ is right.

But, seriously, folks, I've been completely blind-sided by what seems
to me to be the out-of-nowhere emergence of the "splitting of an
infinitive" by inserting "not" that has now become common. I've racked
my brain and I can't recall that I was ever taught a prescriptive rule
against this. (FWIW, I've read only one prescriptive grammar in my life
and the only thing that I remember about it is that it was a green
hardcover, was written by a Jesuit, and was published by Loyola
University Press, Chicago.) There was no need for a rule against it
because NOBODY EVER DID IT! For all practical purposes, I never lived
anywhere but Saint Louis for the first quarter-century of my life.
Perhaps the non-occurrence of "to not VERB" was just a local phenomenon
or something. Oh, well.

-Wilson Gray