Those pesky negatives (revisited)

Wilson Gray hwgray at EARTHLINK.NET
Tue Aug 10 23:02:19 UTC 2004

Actually, I forgot to add the appropriate smileys. I'm not taking it as
seriously as I may have seemed. I'm retired with nothing to do,
basically, after I've finished changing the cats' litterbox and taken
out the trash. So, I sometimes put more ardor into my postings than the
situation calls for. Like, I don't have underlings to kick around
anymore, so I have a lot of psychic energy with no way to expend it.

What interests me about "to not verb" is that it seems to have come out
of nowhere. Most of the stuff that prescriptivists rail against has
been around for generations, if not centuries. But, AFAIK, no
prescriptivists of the old school have included "to *not* verb" in the
class of "split infinitives" because it simply didn't exist in their
day. But why and how did it come into existence? What motivated it? It
really "bugs my head," as used to be said.

Another thing that I've noticed that is new to me is the use of the
"wrong" preposition, such as "he was beaten by a baseball bat" as
opposed to the "correct" form, "he was beaten with a baseball bat."
These have become so common that even I occasionally find myself using
the *wrong" preposition. But only in speech, needless to say. I never
miswrite, of course.;-)

-Wilson Gray