Fleica (Romanian Grilled Steak with Garlic); So Long, Superstar

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Aug 11 05:49:09 UTC 2004

FLEICA

FLEICA--100 Google hits, 32 Google Groups hits

See the "fleica" article (below) in Wednesday's New York Times.

There aren't very many hits for this on Google. I didn't see even one mention
of the word in ProQuest Historical Newspapers, and the NYT certainly did
review Romanian restaurants.

There is one "Fleica" hit in the ADS-L archives, from 1911. That guy's
amazing:

(ADS-L)
Item #22254 (4 May 2002 21:29) - Palatschinken, Haluska, Frankfurter
(Baedeker, 1911)
Pg. 563 (Bucharest):
Some popular national dishes are _Fleica_, beef roasted on the spit;
_Carnati_, spit-roasted beef-sausages; _Ciorba_, a kind of sour soup, made with lamb
or chicken; _Ardei umpluti_, paprika-pods filled with rice and minced meats.

I don't seem to remember "fleica" from my trip to Romania--and I do remember
my trip to Romania. Why, Romania has the most beautiful young...oops, wrong
list.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/11/dining/11MINI.html
Want a Little Beef With Your Garlic?

By MARK BITTMAN
Published: August 11, 2004
RELATED
    Recipe: Grilled Steak With Garlic (Fleica) (August 11, 2004)

GRILLED steak with a load of garlic is one of the few interesting dishes to
have emerged from Romania, where it is called fleica. That statement is
probably a little unfair to a cuisine also known for mamaliga, a cornmeal mush that
is indistinguishable from polenta, but never mind. Cooking steak in this way
turns even the most mundane cut into something great.

The dish is popular with Jews of Eastern European extraction — I ate it on
the Lower East Side and in the Bronx when I was a child — but if keeping kosher
does not matter to you, a little butter is an improvement.

More often than not the meat used is flank steak, but I think it is best with
skirt steak, strip or rib-eye. If you use rib-eye it will probably contain
enough fat to make the addition of butter overkill.

The idea here is not to be shy about using garlic: the flavor should be
strong and very up-front. Since the garlic does cook on the grill, its flavor is
tamed somewhat, but in principle it shouldn't be tamed much.
(...)

(GOOGLE)
Romanian-English Dictionary
... Up F. faina, flour. fiert, boiled. fiert inabusit, braised. fleica, flank
steak.
foaie de dafin, bay leaf. frigarui, on skewer. friptura, roast. friptura la
tava,
pot roast. ...
www.casaromana.org/retete/REdictionar.html - 32k - Cached - Similar pages

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS) (no "fleica," but close)
Restaurants; Heart-and-Soul Jewish-Rumanian
Mimi Sheraton. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Sep 17,
1976. p. 61 (1 page):
Sammy's Roumanian Steak House, 147 Chrystie Street (off Delancy Street)
Big Julie's, 148 East 50th Street (between Lexington and Third Avenues)
...the garlic-laden broiled ground beef sausages, kanatzlach, are all served
with grated white radish and chopped onions, browned onions and, if you like,
the chicken fat cracklings, greeven.
(...)
Among them, are such true masterpieces as the broiled Rumanian tenderloin,
the succulent skirt steak done here with or without garlic,...

SO LONG, SUPERSTAR

I just saw these entries on Wordorigins.com. No one can find my antedating of
"so long" on ADS-L? No one can find my post of "Ingrid Superstar" here? No
one saw the entry "Superman, Superstar, Supermodel" on my web site?