Another "$100 Misunderstanding" (1)

Wilson Gray hwgray at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Aug 13 17:56:23 UTC 2004

On Aug 13, 2004, at 12:49 PM, Dennis R. Preston wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Dennis R. Preston" <preston at MSU.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Another "$100 Misunderstanding" (1)
> --------
>
>> Neither of these corresponds to  my 'shit' which is just like my
>> 'hit' - hit, hit, hit and shit, shit, shit.

I'm aware of this variant. But, somehow, it sounds perfectly fine,
irregardless [what ever happened to this old friend; has prescriptivism
won out?] of the fact that it's not the "correct" form.;-)

> dInIs
>
> PS: Like Wilson, I was also flabbergrasted by 'shat' and also use it
> to poke fun, although I'm not sure at who (maybe at people who would
> say "at whom"?).

I know what you mean. "Shat" seems, somehow, to be intrinsically
laughable. My initial reaction to "shat" was no doubt also helped by
the fact of this particular barracks-mate's habit of using literary
cliches of the "It was a dark and stormy night" school and speaking of
himself in the third person. For example, after pulling out an
unexpected win in a game of (dirty) hearts or (crazy) eights, he would
intone, in the most pompous manner imaginable, something like: "At
first glance, it appeared that our hero's position had become
indefensible. But, as had hitherto always been the case, Eastman's
incisive mind quickly pierced to the heart of the matter, leading to
the expected foregone conclusion: those who durst test the mettle of
the mighty Eastman had come a cropper." "Shat" seemed to be just
another jocular pompasity of the kind that a character like Eastman
would make up.

-Wilson