Another "$100 Misunderstanding" (1)

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Fri Aug 13 21:48:53 UTC 2004

I think I noted that it was my nonstandard speaking Milwaukee wife
who said puh-JAE-muh (rather than my correct pu-JA-muh. (Sorry for
returning to sarcastic crap about who's standard-nonstandard. Old
dog, new tricks, all that shit.)

What's odd about about a stress alternation bwteen the n. of
XN-vuh-lowp and the v. of xn_VEL-up? (I put an X for the vowels which
show regular I/E alternation before nasals, as is well known in all
southern and southern influenced speech, assuming that that is not
the point here.) In my case, for example, I have n. AHN-vuh-lowp and
v. In-VEL-uhp.

dInIs