PC and Dialects in fiction

Patti J. Kurtz kurtpatt4 at NETSCAPE.NET
Sat Aug 14 02:58:00 UTC 2004

Thanks, Wilson!  I rather think that what you mention below, the
stereotypical use of "eye dialect," may be what people are reacting
against.  One member of our group was criticized by judges in a writing
competition for using dialect because "it's not done that way any more"
But I haven't seen a sample of her dialect, so I don't know how accurate
it was.

And I agree that it's a good suggestion to have a speaker of that
dialect review your MS for accuracy.  I'll pass that along to my
colleagues in the critique group where this question arose.

Thanks again!

Patti