Jug Handle (all to one side) (1822); In God We Trust (1807)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Aug 15 21:10:33 UTC 2004

JUG HANDLE (ALL TO ONE SIDE)

I found this by accident while looking for "God."

(OED)
to a floating ‘jug’ or bottle (Cent. Dict.); jug handle, the handle of a jug; also attrib. and fig., shaped like a jug handle; hence jug-handled a., (a) lit. placed on one side, as the handle of a jug; (b) fig. (U.S.) unilateral, one-sided, unbalanced.

1846 S. F. SMITH Theatr. Apprenticeship 118 Not perceiving the entire justice of this arrangement, it being somewhat on the *jug-handle principle, all on one side. 1900 E. GLYN Visits of Elizabeth 245 She has a jug-handle chignon. 1955 M. E. B. BANKS Commando Climber iii. 38 A final wall, almost vertical but amply provided with the largest of jug-handles, remained. 1961 L. MUMFORD City in Hist. xvi. 506 To ensure the continuous flow of traffic,..immense clover leaves and jug handles are designed. 1967 R. J. SERLING President's Plane is Missing (1968) ii. 27 He was one of those homely men whose virile masculinity masked such features as a big nose and jug-handle ears. 1970 A. BLACKSHAW Mountaineering (rev. ed.) vi. 163 A large incut hold (a ‘jug-handle’) in good rock is the most secure of all holds.

 1881 Congress. Rec. 8 Dec. 60/2 English reciprocity in pleasure travel,..like their often proposed commercial reciprocity, is comparatively *jug-handled. 1904 Boston Herald 28 Sept. 6 The trade between Canada and the United States is..jug-handled.

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES)
"The rule of right."
Anonymous. Niles' Weekly Register (1814-1837). Baltimore: Mar 2, 1822. Vol. 22, Iss. 1; p. 2 (4 pages)
Pg. 4, col. 2: To use a vulgar saying, the whole matter is "like the handle of a jug--all on one side."

STATISTICS--STATE OF THE COUNTRY.
The Cultivator (1834-1865). Albany: May 1842. Vol. 9, Iss. 5; p. 76 (2 pages)
Pg. 76, col. 3: Confident in our capabilities and our resources, we have pushed out free trade principles to the verge of absurdity, if not of ruin; we have found that the free trade of the old world is like the handle of a jug--all on one side;...

(LITERATURE ONLINE)
 Glover, Stephen, 1812-1870 [Author Page]
The Cradle of Liberty; or, Boston in 1775 (1857)  186Kb
THE CRADLE OF LIBERTY; OR, BOSTON IN 1775. WRITTEN AND ADAPTED BY CAPT. STEPHEN E. GLOVER, From J. Fenimore Cooper's celebrated Novel of "Lionel Lincoln; Or, The Leaguer Of Boston." WITH ORIGINAL CASTS, COSTUMES, AND THE WHOLE OF THE STAGE BUSINESS, CORRECTLY MARKED AND ARRANGED, BY MR. J. B. WRIGHT, ASSISTANT MANAGER OF THE BOSTON THEATRE.   [URL for this text]
Found 1 hit(s):
Main text   [URL for this text]
ACT I.   [URL for this text]
Scene II.   [URL for this text]
...battle will be like the handle of a jug, all on...

(MAKING OF AMERICA-MICHIGAN)