non-monetary "buck"

Gordon, Matthew J. GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU
Mon Aug 16 02:57:22 UTC 2004

We've probably noted this usage on the list earlier, but I couldn't find it in the archives:
The use of "buck" in numerical expressions where it means one or a hundred. I associate it with sports "journalism". So, e.g. a pitcher's ERA might be given as "a buck thirty three" (=1.33) or someone's weight might be "a buck twenty" (=120 lbs.).

I heard an potentially confusing extension of this usage today. It appeared on a TV program aimed at teenagers and featuring 30 somethings trying to speak like teenagers. Anyway, at one point the price of a certain must-have electronic item was given as "a buck seventy" which I found surprisingly cheap until I realized the speaker meant $170.