Amos 'n' Andy (was: PC and Dialects in fiction)

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Mon Aug 16 22:38:00 UTC 2004

Yes, Redd Foxx was a good deal more risque that that mild detergent
joke would suggest (in personal appearance as well as his very famous
"party" records, the best of which was, as I recall, "You got to wash
your ass"). I also suspect that the Fuggit joke is older that Foxx
(or not original with him). The form in which I have it from
childhood (Louisville, late 1940's) was a little chant: "Try the new
laundry detergent Fugg. If Rinso won't rinse it, and Duz won't do it,
then Fuiggit."

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor of Linguistics
preston at msu.edu