Amos 'n' Andy (was: PC and Dialects in fiction)

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Tue Aug 17 02:46:36 UTC 2004

On Aug 16, 2004, at 6:38 PM, Dennis R. Preston wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Dennis R. Preston" <preston at MSU.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Amos 'n' Andy (was: PC and Dialects in fiction)
> --------
>
> Yes, Redd Foxx was a good deal more risque that that mild detergent
> joke would suggest (in personal appearance as well as his very famous
> "party" records, the best of which was, as I recall, "You got to wash
> your ass"). I also suspect that the Fuggit joke is older that Foxx
> (or not original with him). The form in which I have it from
> childhood (Louisville, late 1940's) was a little chant: "Try the new
> laundry detergent Fugg. If Rinso won't rinse it, and Duz won't do it,
> then Fuiggit."
>
> dInIs

I know only the Foxx version, though I am familiar with Rinso - Rinso
white! Happy little washday song! - and Duz - Duz does everything! The
Rinso singing commercial was my favorite tune, when I was about 3 yrs
old. And, of course, the Duz slogan figured in any number of
double-entendres involving both washing machines and housecleaning.

If memory serves, the album, You Got to Wash Your Ass, has one of my
favorite Foxx bits on it. It goes something like this.

Some people complain because I say things like "shit." Come on out to
the parking lot and let me slam my car door on your hand. You'll say
"shit" and "motherfucker," too!

As one who's had a car door slammed on his hand, I can attest to the
truth of Foxx's assertion. And I was lucky. I have a friend who lost
the tips of two of her fingers when someone slammed a car door on her
hand.

-Wilson Gray