"for" or "of"

Tue Aug 17 14:29:33 UTC 2004

"Douglas G. Wilson" <douglas at NB.NET> scripsit:

>³How do I reduce my risk for heart attack or stroke?²
>
>³How do I reduce my risk of heart attack or stroke?²
>

>³...reduce your risk for a heart attack or stroke.²
>
>³...reduce your risk of a heart attack or stroke.²

I prefer "risk of" in these. Why? Just because that's the usual
construction AFAIK. [...] IMHO, there is no
reason why "a risk of stroke" should be grammatically different from "a
risk of bankruptcy". Other sources (on-line British National Corpus,
on-line news archive) seem to agree, at a brief glance.
	<<<

I'll give you a reason: "of" is the default preposition to mark the object
of a nominalized verb.

-- Mark A. Mandel
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]