"Follow-upped" (and other Fresh Air anomalies)

Orin Hargraves orinkh at CARR.ORG
Thu Aug 19 18:17:08 UTC 2004

Long as we're on Fresh Air: a couple of weeks ago, Retired Army Gen. Tommy
Franks, while being interviewed by Terry Gross, and speaking about a figure in
the Bush administration, said that the fellow's remarks were "not sequitur."
In the context, it was clear that he meant to characterize the guy as someone
whose thinking was unconventional and gratuitously "outside the box," usually
irritatingly so.

This one was new to me and seems virtually unattested: most Google results for
"not sequitur" show that the writer is unaware of the usual form and/or
syntactic requirements of "non sequitur." A possible exception is

"A person's religious beliefs are not sequitur to how well-known or
not they are."

which is from a Paulette Cooper, writing about Scientology.

Orin Hargraves