Dueling dialects

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Fri Aug 20 20:28:18 UTC 2004

We've just completed a survey of over 30 younger St. Louisians (for
another purpose) but in looking back at them, I find no case of /ae/
preservation before /r/. That is, all /ae/ (Harry) forms are /E/
(just as are all historical /e/ and /E/ forms).

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor