Dueling dialects

Sat Aug 21 16:07:45 UTC 2004

I said,

>If anyone cares about it, of course, the proper solution is "Well, how did
>*he* pronounce it?"

Larry & dInIs are dubious :

I'd have a hard time convincing neutralizers to pronounce my name as [laeri]
just because *I* pronounce it that way.

Of course it won't work. Imagine trying to get tin-eared northerners to make
wh/w or long-o/open o (before /r/) distinctions, weather they're in your
name or not.

  <<<

Gentlemen, gentlemen! I *said*, "If anyone cares about it". Obviously such
people won't.

It works for me because I am a five-way splitter --

   merry : marry : Mary : Murray : furry ::  E : ae : e : ^ : @

 -- who cares about pronouncing people's names the way they do.

-- Dr. Whom, Consulting Linguist, Grammarian,
   Orthoepist, & Philological Busybody
   a.k.a. Mark A. Mandel