Sukosi

Ed Finegan Finegan at USC.EDU
Sat Aug 21 23:44:37 UTC 2004

from the OED on skosh:

U.S. slang (orig. Forces').

[ad. Jap. sukoshi a little, somewhat.]

     A little, a small amount; freq. used advb. in the expression a
skosh, slightly, somewhat.

   [1955 Amer. Speech XXX. 44 Along with..everyday greetings, Bamboo
English employs sukoshi 'few, some' and its antonym takusan 'plenty',
both of which are forthwith made into two-syllable words, dispensing
with the voiceless Japanese u.] 1959 (recorded by Prof. A. L. Hench,
Univ. of Virginia) 10 May, 'Just a skosh,' he said. When I asked him
what he meant he said he had picked the word up in Korea. It means 'a
little bit'. 'Just a little bit left' was his meaning. 1977 Detroit Free
Press 19 Dec. 4-C/1 In the ad, a slightly out-of-breath jogger laments
middle-age body bulge and tells how glad he is that a new line of Levis
for men is constructed with 'a skosh more room where I need it'. 1988
Cycle World Sept. 37/1 The GSX-R's seat is more comfortable than the
Yamaha's thinly padded perch, and its bars are a skosh higher.