FW: Judoka

Benjamin J Barrett gogaku at IX.NETCOM.COM
Sun Aug 22 15:19:56 UTC 2004

Some notes about "playing" martial arts, and -ka from the Honyaku list.

The final posting below includes some Japanese which mentions that -ka
is a person who excels at something. -ka is the Sino-Japanese character
for house. The word honyakker (probably more commonly Honyakker) is also
used.

Benjamin Barrett
Baking the World a Better Place
www.hiroki.us

-----Original Message-----
From: Ko Iwata [mailto:iwatako at parkcity.ne.jp]
Sent: Saturday, August 21, 2004 11:34 PM

For those who are still wondering how to render an
athlete that plays judo, here is an article and glossary
from the official Olympic website.

They define judoka as a judo contestant.

http://www.athens2004.com/athens2004/page/legacy?lang=en&cid=2b0b4704291
49f00VgnVCMServer28130b0aRCRD

http://www.athens2004.com/athens2004/page/legacy?lang=en&channel=Judo

What I find quite interesting is that in Taekwondo, they are called
competitors.