Not in HDAS?

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Sun Aug 22 16:34:50 UTC 2004

In a message dated > Sat, 21 Aug 2004 22:52:37 -0400,  Wilson Gray <
> wilson.gray at RCN.COM> writes
>
> BE "music roll" for "roll of toilet paper" also seems to be missing [from
> the HDAS].

I would guess that "music roll" means "player piano roll", in which case the
visual analogy with a roll of toilet paper is obvious.

What is not obvious is why such a metaphor should appear ONLY in BE.  I am
not aware that player pianos play or played a significantly greater role (no pun
intended) in African-American culture than in white culture.  Nor am I aware
of any urban legend that white-only washrooms (yes, I have been around long
enough to have observed segregated washrooms) had player pianos.

      - James A. Landau