Wordcraft site

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Aug 22 21:27:21 UTC 2004

http://wordcraft.infopop.cc/

"Wordcraft" is a site that seems to have started around July 2002. A recent
post mentions Grant Barrett's "Double Tongued" site. Michael Quinion's new book
was mentioned, and Quinion responded that he agreed to come up with a better
photo of himself. Nice stuff.

However...the site is miserable.

I think I spotted one hit for "Wilton" and one hit for "Historical Dictionary
of American Slang" and zero hits for "HDAS." "Popik" has zero hits.

There is a "Wordcraft Dictionary." Although I've done a good number of these
terms, you'd never know it. Let's take one that I did ten years ago as an
example:

hot dog – (etymology) By the 1890's this food was popular in New York and
called "Dachshund sausage".  By the story I favor, a syndicated cartoonist
sketched a cartoon of a dachshund smeared with mustard, in a bun. But since he could
not spell dachshund, he captioned the picture "Get your hot dogs!"

Ah, but there's greater detail on this one:

Why do we call it a hot dog?

The butchers' guild of Frankfurt introduced this form of sausage in 1852.
Folklore claims that it was made curved at the behest of a butcher who had a pet
dachshund, and who convinced co-workers that a dachshund-shaped sausage would
win the locals' hearts and stomachs. In any event, a vendor who hailed from
that town popularized this food at America's Coney Island, in the 1890's. The
sausage went under a many names: frankfurter or frank, wienerwurst or wiener
(after the city of Vienna, spelled "Wien" in the native tongue), and dachshund
sausage. "Dachshund sausage" was the name used by the vendors who sold it at New
Your baseball games in 1906.

Enter Tad Dorgan, syndicated cartoonist for the Hearst newspapers. He
sketched a cartoon of a dachshund smeared with mustard, sandwiched in a bun. But
since he was unable to spell dachshund, he settled on "dog," captioning the
picture "Get your hot dogs!"

Then name not only stuck, it virtually obsoleted its predecessors, and soon
spun off terms like the exclamations "hot dog!" and "hot diggity dog".

Note: My source for this is Charles Panati's Extraordinary Origins of
Everyday Thing (including the verb "to obsolete"). Other print sources confirm the
Dorgan story, though some say the catchphrase "hot dog" was already sweeping the
nation and helped support the name for the sausage, rather than vice versa.
In fairness, I'll add that snopes and word-detective stoutly deny the Dorgan
story – but until otherwise shown, I'm putting my money with the
published-in-print sources.

Yeah, why trust snopes and word-detective? Why even read the HISTORICAL
DICTIONARY OF AMERICAN SLANG? You've got Charles Panati, and that's all you need.
Throw in Robert Hendrickson and there you go.

This entry was written in 2003. I could go on, but that sums up the site
right there.

WHY IS THE INTERNET/JOURNALISM SO GODDAMN AWFUL?