Not in HDAS?

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Mon Aug 23 12:09:01 UTC 2004

On Aug 22, 2004, at 12:34 PM, James A. Landau wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "James A. Landau" <JJJRLandau at AOL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Not in HDAS?
> --------
>
> In a message dated > Sat, 21 Aug 2004 22:52:37 -0400,  Wilson Gray <
>> wilson.gray at RCN.COM> writes
>>
>> BE "music roll" for "roll of toilet paper" also seems to be missing
>> [from
>> the HDAS].
>
> I would guess that "music roll" means "player piano roll", in which
> case the
> visual analogy with a roll of toilet paper is obvious.

Well, now that you've pointed it out, it's obvious. It wasn't obvious
to me, despite the fact that I've used the term for at least 50 years,
all the while vaguely wondering about its origin. Naturally, I know
what a music roll is. But, somehow, I'd never made the connection
between an actual music roll and the slang term derived from it. Thank
you!

-Wilson Gray