"Nickel gets you on subway, but garlic gets a seat"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Aug 25 17:35:15 UTC 2004

At 10:22 AM -0700 8/25/04, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>"That and a nickel (dime, quarter, fifty cents, dollar and a
>quarter, two-fifty, you name it) will get you a cup of coffee."
>Apodictic NYC wisdom from before 1950.
>
>JL

I've heard that too as an alternate expression of cynicism, but I
always preferred the subway version, since you always knew exactly
how much the latter would cost you, while cups of coffee could vary
in price.  Also it seemed more specific to New York.