Skordalia (1957)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Aug 26 07:02:48 UTC 2004

SKORDALIA--7,150 Google hits, 609 Google Groups hits

"Skordalia" is not in the OED ("miserable on food").  It's never mentioned in
EATING YOUR WORDS (2004) by former NY Times food critic and "On Language"
summer substitute William Grimes. (I think it's best if I stay quiet about that
book.)

It's Greek. Gothamist.com ran a nice Greek food roundup yesterday.
"Skordalia" was mentioned in two of the links.

http://www.gothamist.com/
August 25, 2004

It's All Greek

Watching the Olympics made Gothamist hanker for a messy souvlaki dripping in
hot sauce. Luckily, Greek delights are just a train ride away. The Daily News
looked at restaurants in Astoria that will bring you to the Meditarranean, if
only just through a taste. Chowhound looked at the state of Greek restaurants
in Astoria (part one, part two), and Citysearch has a section on Astoria. And
if you're too lazy to take the N from Manhattan, there's Snack Taverna, which
was named NY Magazine's top Astoria Alternative this year. Epicurious has a
section on Greek foods to cook, and Gothamist Food tackled Greek wines, which
rounds out meal options. Also be sure to check out Gothamist Sports' Olympics
coverage; for further beach volleyball examination, check out Tien's own site
.Posted by Jen Chung

http://www.nydailynews.com/city_life/story/219783p-189000c.html
Christos-Hasapo Taverna
41-08 23rd Ave. (718) 777-2400.
Billing itself as the "Hellenic Steakhouse," Christos' goal is to re-create a
traditional Greek meat market, known as a hasapo. In addition to the meats
slowly turning on the restaurant's rotisserie, they have classic treats like
skordalia, the garlicky mixture of potatoes, garlic, walnuts and olive oil.

http://www.chowhound.com/writing/greek.html
> A few years ago all the best Greek places in Astoria closed. In quick
> succession, the original Stamatis (then a quasi-private club, with outdoor service
> under weeping willows), Taygetos, and Cyprus Taverna all shut their doors,
> leaving less skillful kitchens to whip up the skordalia.

I'll look through my notes later, but here are database results. Have some
"skordalia" before the Olympics end.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
    1.  Food: Cooking Smelts; Fall Favorite Should Be Sauteed, Fried or
Broiled--Recipe Offered
By JUNE OWEN. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Sep 28,
1957. p. 15 (1 page) :
Mr. Kent, who lived in Greece for twenty-one years, recommends this Greek
sauce, Skordalia, as a dunk for crackers or potato chips: Mash two garlic buds in
a pestle. Add one cup yogurt and blend till smooth. Season with salt, pepper
and about a fourth teaspoon of minced green pepper.

    2.  Display Ad 268 -- No Title
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Aug 4, 1974. p. 266 (1
page)

    3.  A Sampling of Recipes From All Over the Globe
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Mar 21, 1979. p. C6 (1
page)

    4.  The Worldly Delights of Garlic; The Worldly Delights of Garlic, the
Miracle Worker
By CRAIG CLAIBORNE. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Mar
21, 1979. p. C1 (2 pages)

    5.  Restaurants; From wine-dark sea to seafood on 3d Ave. Estia Oscar's
Salt of the Sea Fair
Mimi Sheraton. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Apr 25,
1980. p. C14 (1 page)

    6.  Restaurants; Roumeli Panache
Moira Hodgson. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Oct 31,
1980. p. C17 (1 page)

    7.  DINING OUT From Vast Menu, Greek Is Choice; Aphrodite Fair
By M.H. REED. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Oct 18,
1981. p. WC17 (1 page)

    8.  Greek Surprise North of the Border
By ANNE SEMMES. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: May 16,
1982. p. NJ25 (1 page)

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
 Sheboygan Press    Wednesday, April 02, 1975 Sheboygan, Wisconsin
...that there is one classic exception SKORDALIA. He adds that use SKORDALIA
.....that there are several ways to prepare SKORDALIA. The walnut recipe is
much..

 Daily Times    Wednesday, April 16, 1975 Salisbury, Maryland
...that there is one classic exception SKORDALIA. He adds that ''Greeks
use.....mat there are several} ways to prepare SKORDALIA. The ver walnut recipe is
much..

 Advocate   Thursday, March 27, 1975 Newark, Ohio
...that there is one classic exception SKORDALIA. He adds that use SKORDALIA
.....than the sweets. It's a sauce called SKORDALIA. Constantine Hassalevris,
who..

   Gettysburg Times     Wednesday, November 10, 1999 Gettysburg, Pennsylvania

...Sauce in this recipe is a variation of SKORDALIA, the pungent Greek
garlic.....creamy sauce, which is a variation of SKORDALIA, the pungent Greek
garlic..

 Daily Herald   Thursday, January 29, 1981 Chicago, Illinois
...like French Italian pcsto and Greek SKORDALIA. There are cookbooks
devoted.....and bake an additional IS min- utes. SKORDALIA Garlic 6 medium potatoes
4..

 Syracuse Herald Journal    Tuesday, May 18, 1982 Syracuse, New York
...s delicious over salmon hot or cold. SKORDALIA 4 large cloves fresh
garlic..

 Daily Herald   Thursday, June 24, 1982 Chicago, Illinois
...nuts m large mortar .l.ft I n L A l H SKORDALIA 4 large cloves or-
branched..

 Herald     Thursday, January 27, 1977 Chicago, Illinois
...sauce while baking Makes 4 servings. SKORDALIA Sauce Made with .J doves..

 Sheboygan Press    Wednesday, July 19, 1972 Sheboygan, Wisconsin
...THIOSMO-Beef Broth with mint PUNTZORIA SKORDALIA-Beef with Garlic Sauce
KOTA MS..

 Syracuse Herald Journal    Sunday, March 01, 1981 Syracuse, New York
...but also of where it is known as SKORDALIA. As I continued to prowl..

   Chronicle Telegram   Wednesday, February 03, 1999 Elyria, Ohio
...bistros and Central American kitchens. SKORDALIA, although it's usually
served..

 Syracuse Herald Journal    Sunday, February 17, 1985 Syracuse, New York
...and related dishes aoli of the SKORDALIA of and so have a special..