Gimmy Crack Corn

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Mon Aug 30 15:58:59 UTC 2004

Like Beverly, I fail to find any indication in the song that the narrator
is saddened by the departure of his master.  If "Jim[my] crack corn" indeed
refers to a person doing something (as opposed to naming an inferior
liquor), then the master's absence has had two positive outcomes: Jim or
Jimmy is now free to crack corn (to whatever end) and the narrator is free
not to worry about it.

Whoever actually wrote the song, I wonder where the story came from.  It
seems less likely to have sprung spontaneously from the writer's
imagination than to be based on some actual freakish accident.  My wife
goes so far as to think it may be a story about a slave killing his master
and getting away with it by successfully framing a fly in a story so well
concocted that even a jury would have fallen for it.  All speculation, of
course.

Peter Mc.

--On Sunday, August 29, 2004 10:42 PM -0400 Beverly Flanigan