wide array of death euphemisms

Tue Aug 31 17:10:51 UTC 2004

Date:    Mon, 30 Aug 2004 16:05:08 EDT
From:    Kara Everman <Karaeverman at AOL.COM>
Subject: wide array of death euphemisms

to identify with the life philosophy of laughing instead of crying where
trouble is concerned is the fact of a wide array of these death euphemisms
to buy the farm
to bite the dust
curtains
to kick the bucket
to punch ones ticket
to sleep with the fishes
to meet ones maker
 where do these euphemisms originate and how are they made
        <<<<<

Dear Ms. Everman:

to read unpunctuated text is rather a nuisance that is why punctuation was
invented to provide to the reader who after all is not present when the text
is being created a partial substitute for the writers speakers tone of voice
prosody etc im not sure how to parse the first two lines of your message
please use something at least approximating standard punctuation thank you
in advance

Also, what do you mean by (if I read it correctly) "to identify with [that
philosophy] *is the fact of*" these euphemisms? I don't see anything happy
in "biting the dust".

Having gotten that off my chest, I'm sure you will get useful answers on
this list.

-- Sincerely,
   Mark A. Mandel