Sambuca (1963); Cajun Martini (1982); Champagne Cruise (1959)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Feb 1 02:01:54 UTC 2004

   Some food and drink items.  I was going through some San Francisco magazines today.
   I have one freaking day all week, travel across town to NYU, and it appears that ProQuest is going down for maintenance.  I've been staring at blank screens for 15 minutes...Hey ProQuest!  How about adding new content in 2004??
   Newspaperarchive.com can't be read on my home computer (where I am the "Addams County Historical Society") or on the Macs here at NYU.

SAMBUCA

   OED has 1971 for "An Italian liqueur resembling anisette."  I remembered that I forgot to do this one.  "Sambuca may be the world's most misunderstood liqueur," wrote William Grimes in EQUIRE, September 1987, pg. 54, col. 1.  Grimes attributes the popularity to the firm of Molinari in 1959.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
   ... But Melina Is; ... But Melina Is
By REX REED. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Apr 30, 1967. p. 111 (2 pages)
Pg. 7:  Melina takes her shoes off and sips sambuca with espresso coffee beans in it.

   A Pie Guy and 2 Syrup Men
By JEAN HEWITT. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Sep 4, 1967. p. 36 (1 page):
   Another concentrated flavor that is compounded on the  on the premises is sambuca, an anise flavoring that is a favorite addition to coffee.  It can be used in baking, too.

(TRADEMARKS)
Word Mark SAMBUCA ROMANA
Goods and Services IC 033. US 049. G & S: LIQUEURS. FIRST USE: 19620507. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19631219
Mark Drawing Code (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS
Design Search Code 070902 070905
Serial Number 72221159
Filing Date June 15, 1965
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Published for Opposition November 1, 1966
Registration Number 0826998
Registration Date April 4, 1967
Owner (REGISTRANT) DITTA PACE-GIPSA-GIACOMO PACE SOCIETA IN ACCOMANDITA SEMPLICE PARTNERSHIP ITALY 10, PIAZZA SAN MARCO ROME ITALY
(LAST LISTED OWNER) INDIVINED, B.V. CORPORATION ASSIGNEE OF NETHERLANDS ARCHANGELKADE 29, 1013 BE AMSTERDAM NETHERLANDS
Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Attorney of Record WEISS DAWID FROSS ZELNICK & LEHRMAN
Disclaimer APPLICANT, WITHOUT WAIVING ITS COMMON LAW RIGHTS, DISCLAIMS THE WORDS "SAMBUCA ROMANA" APART FROM THE MARK AS A WHOLE.
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Affidavit Text SECT 15.
Renewal 1ST RENEWAL 19870404
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

CAJUN MARTINI

   There are 622 Google hits for this no-longer-regional drink.

   April 1987, ESQUIRE, pg. 106, col. 1:
_LOUISIANA LIGHTNIN'_
_The martini for many a Cajun_
(...)
   Here's the formula.
   Pour a fifth of your favorite gin or vodka and a little dry vermouth into a large jug.  Add two or three fresh jalapeno peppers (sliced in half lengthwise, seeded, and deveined) and a single red chili pepper (no more, because the heat/flavor ratio of red chilis isn't as favorable as with jalapenos).  Let sit in the refrigerator for two days, then remove the peppers, and taste--on the rocks, in an old-fashioned glass, no garnish.  If the result isn't hot enough, put the peppers back in.  If too hot, add a little gin or vodka.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
FLYING FISH; FROM THE GRAND OLD TO GRAND NEW, HERE IS WHAT'S BEING SERVED IN AMERICA'S SEAFOOD RESTAURANTS
BY PHYLLIS C. RICHMAN. The Washington Post (1974-Current file). Washington, D.C.: Mar 7, 1982. p. SM12 (12 pages)
(Print is too small to be read--ed.)

   Food Notes
Marian Burros. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jul 27, 1983. p. C9 (1 page):
   Mr. Prudhomme, who has elevated Cajun cooking to a high art in his tiny French Quarter restaurant, has set up 20 of his staff in the Old Waldorf, a former nightclub in San Francisco's Embarcadero Center, and is offering his specialties--Cajun martinis made with hot peppers instead of olives, blackened redfish seared very quickly over high heat, crawfish and sweet potato-pecan pie.

   Tradition at the Table; A selection of New Orleans restaurants where Creole and Cajun creations are savored
By FRED FERRETTI. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Feb 26, 1984. p. XX15 (2 pages)

   Display Ad 289 -- No Title
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Nov 25, 1984. p. BR20 (1 page)

   New Orleans Chef Takes On New York; New Orleans Chef Takes On New York
By MARIAN BURROS. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jul 24, 1985. p. C1 (2 pages)

(TRADEMARKS)
Word Mark CHEF PAUL PRUDHOMME'S ORIGINAL K-PAUL'S CAJUN MARTINI "TOTALLY HOT." LOUISIANA KITCHEN
Goods and Services (CANCELLED) IC 033. US 049. G & S: PREPARED ALCOHOLIC COCKTAIL. FIRST USE: 19860502. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19860502
Mark Drawing Code (5) WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS IN STYLIZED FORM
Design Search Code 020101 020120 020132 060703 260925
Serial Number 73628566
Filing Date November 4, 1986
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Published for Opposition August 2, 1988
Registration Number 1538374
Registration Date May 9, 1989
Owner (REGISTRANT) PRUDHOMME, PAUL INDIVIDUAL UNITED STATES 406 CHARTRES STREET NEW ORLEANS LOUISIANA 70130
Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Attorney of Record ARLANA S. COHEN
Disclaimer NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "ORIGINAL" AND "CAJUN MARTINI" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN
Description of Mark THE LINING SHOWN IN THE MARK ON THE DRAWING IS A FEATURE OF THE MARK AND DOES NOT INDICATE COLOR.
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Other Data THE PORTRAIT SHOWN IN THE MARK IS THE LIKENESS OF "PAUL PRUDHOMME", A LIVING INDIVIDUAL, WHOSE CONSENT IS OF RECORD.
Live/Dead Indicator DEAD
Cancellation Date November 13, 1995

CHAMPAGNE CRUISE

   "Champagne cruise" is not in OED.  There are 1,980 Google hits.  I had one in Africa--between those stops at gas stations.

   May 1964, SAN FRANCISCO, pg. 29, col. 3:
_CHAMPAGNE CRUISE_
_Special note to San Franciscans who have been perusing these problems common to outlanders with an understandable smugness:_  You can enjoy an outgrowth of the new Tiburon ferry services every Thursday evening--Spring, Summer, and Fall--at 6:30.  That's when San Franciscans are invited aboard at Fisherman's Wharf for a "Champagne Cruise" across starlit waters to Tiburon.  Once there, you repair to a local wine cellar whose proprietors make free with red, white, and pink samples.  (...)   The boat trip, the bubbly, the dinner are all included in the $7.50 ticket.

($7.50?  This "outlander" will take it!--ed.)

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
Display Ad 194 -- No Title
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Nov 29, 1959. p. X40 (1 page)
(Somewhere here.  There are also 1961 ads--ed.)

SPANAKOPETA

   "Spanakopeta" is not in the OED?  Greece?  No one from the OED has every heard of Greece?

SPANAKOPITA--13,000 Google hits
SPANAKOPETA--291 Google hits

   August 1965, SAN FRANCISCO, "Dining In" by Ingrid Wilmot, pg. 54:
Col. 1:  Over coffee and some delicious _Karidopeta_ (Greek Walnut cake), Mrs. Christopher told how, as a young bride, she would phone her mother for step by step directions on preparing dinner.
Col. 2:  Soupa Avgolemono
Col. 2:  (If you can obtain some Greek paste called _Kritharake_ or _manestra_, a rice-like grain, it is absolutely delicious and is tender in 10 minutes.)
Col. 3:  Greek Spinach Squares (_Spanakopeta_)
(Recipe follows--ed.)

MALFATTI

   "Malfatti" (spinach and cheese dumplings) is not in the revised OED.  There are 352 Google hits for "Malfatti" + "Spinach."

   May 1965, SAN FRANCISCO, restaurant listings, pg. 19, col. 3:
_La Strada_--Why travel when you may enjoy a leisurely COntinental-Italian repast in a Mediterranean-like setting right here?  This charming spot has a delightful romantic appeal.  Be sure to try the _malfatti_, either as a side order or as your entree.

TOSCANO BREAD

   There are 36 Google hits for "Toscano bread."  Not in the OED.

   June 1965, SAN FRANCISCO, "Discoveries" by Jack Shelton, pg. 36, col. 2:
_Cuneo's Home Style Bread_ is the perfect accompaniment for the sweet butter.  Naturally any leading brand of San Francisco's sourdough or French bread will more than do--they are both justifiably famous.  But my particular favorite San Francisco bread is a cross between sweet and sour French.  THe proprietors of the Cuneo Bakery Co., 523 Green Street, near Grant Avenue, call it--"Cuneo's Home Style Toscano Bread."  With a crisp brown crust and almost a white cake texture on the inside, the loaves come in sizes up to six ounds.

COULOTTES STEAK

   Not in OED.

(GOOGLE)
http://www.foodproductdesign.com/archive/2001/0901cc.html
Those efforts actually began back in the economically uncertain 1980s and ’90s, when consumers began looking for a quality steak — and one that wasn’t chopped sirloin — for less than $10.00. Flank and skirt steak were not yet fashionable on dinner menus. Blade steaks, hanger steaks and coulottes (top sirloin cap steak) were completely unheard of in the Northeast.

   January 1965, SAN FRANCISCO, "Discoveries" by Jack Shelton, pg. 36, col. 3:
_Coulotte Steaks_...I will probably regret the inclusion of this item forever, because once the word gets around about this great steak, I expect butchers will have a long waiting list...and I'll end up on it!  Luckily I have a couple months' supply in my freezer, so full speed ahead.  The reason for the rarity of these fabulous steaks is that there are only two on each steer--actually they are the very last cut of the top sirloin.  The name "Coulotte" I have seen used only in San Francisco--both in butcher shops and restaurants.  (Vanessi's has been featuring Coulotte steaks on its menu for years.)  At the butchers', they are cut in two ways: in long blocks weighing about two pounds or in smaller pieces.

NUTCORN

NUTCORN--506 Google hits
NUT CORN--1,450 Google hits (237 with "popcorn")

   Not in OED.  See POPPED CULTURE: A SOCIAL HISTORY OF POPCORN IN AMERICA (1999) by Andrew F. Smith.  I don't remember to what extent the book had gone "nuts."

   December 1965, SAN FRANCISCO, "Discoveries" by Jack Shelton, pg. 24, col. 1:
_NUTCORN_ is not a very unusual confection.  It consists of caramel popcorn inter-mixed with assorted nuts.  Most popcorn shops carry a version of it.  However, although I have tried several local varieties, I have never found a shop which could even approach the quality and flavor achieved by the Nutcorn people in Beverly Hills.  Fortunately they sell it by mail all over the world.  In their brochure they state that they use real butter.  And, of course, one taste will demonstrate the use of only the finest nuts (no peanuts).  A one pound tin is $2.50 plus 75c postage west of the Mississippi and 85c east.  They gift wrap and enclose your card if time is short.  Otherwise send for their complete price list which includes larger sizes.  Nutcorn, 9459 Charlesville Blvd., Beverly Hills is the address.