Hill of Beans (1853); Cajeta (1854); "Chocoholics" misdating

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Feb 2 02:03:10 UTC 2004

CHOCOHOLICS: Â Yes, it's a misdating. Â I switched computers and looked at it. Â The "1949" citation is from 1983!
HILL OF BEANS
 Â  The HISTORICAL DICTIONARY OF AMERICAN SLANG uses OED's 1863 citation.
(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES)
Article 6 -- No Title
GEO KETCHUM. The Genesee Farmer (1845-1865). Rochester: Apr 1853. Vol. 14, Iss. 4; p. 124 (2 pages)
Pg. 125: Â Pear on the quince has never amounted to a hill of beans with us yet; it is doubtful whether they will, for the quince itself does poorly, and with the best care is short lived, although in some locations they are fine, but such are rare.
WHY DO FARMER SO GENERALLY NEGLECT THEIR GARDENS? AND THE BEST MEANS OF RECTIFYING THE EVIL.
HUBERT. The Genesee Farmer (1845-1865). Rochester: Mar 1857. Vol. 18, Iss. 3; p. 88 (2 pages)
Pg. 88: Â And those who will scarcely raise a hill of beans, or cucumbers, will devour with gusto the luxuries of the garden, when provided by others;...
Art. V.--The Holy Land
Anonymous. Christian Examiner (1857-1869). New York: Sep 1857. Vol. 63, Iss. 2; p. 211 (20 pages)
CAJETA
 Â  This "SAVEUR 100" list is definitely quirky. Â
 Â  #83 is the GRAND CENTRAL OYSTER BAR & RESTAURANT. Â For a long time now, its workers have been on strike. Â They are very vocal--and I've walked through Grand Central at various times. Â A huge blow-up "rat" is outside Grand Central Terminal. Â What a lovely sight for tourists to our city. Â Organized labor can get away with everything in New York.
 Â  #61--LOX AND BAGELS.
 Â #100--COLD PIZZA. Â (This is "COOLEST ITALIAN-AMERICAN BREAKFAST." Â Italians should sue.)
 Â  #85: Â "Want to know who invented the potato chip or what the Vikings ate? Â You'll find the answers at FOODTIMELINE.ORG, one of the Internet's trustiest food-history resources." Â (Actually, the thing is riddled with errors.)
 Â  On page 73 is "Cajeta de Pina y Platano (Pineapple and Banana Dessert)":
CAJETA, says (Diana--ed.) Kennedy, was the name originally given to small wooden boxes used for storing sweets but has come to mean a specific sweetmeat, a paste made of fruits, nuts, or thickened milk.
 Â  There are 8,890 Google hits for "cajeta." Â "Cajeta" is not in the OED ("miserable on food").
 Â  Â
(GOOGLE)
http://eat.epicurious.com/dictionary/food
cajeta
[kah-HAY-tah]
A thick, dark syrup or paste made from caramelized sugar and milk — traditionally goat's milk, although cow's milk is often used. Cajeta can be found in several flavors (primarily caramel and fruit) in Latin markets. It's used in Mexico and in some South American countries primarily as a dessert by itself or as a topping for ice cream or fruit.
(GOOGLE)
http://www.internationalrecipesonline.com/recipes/dictionary.pl?1153
A thick, dark syrup or paste made from caramelized sugar and milk — traditionally goat's milk, although cow's milk is often used. Cajeta can be found in several flavors (primarily caramel and fruit) in Latin markets. It's used in Mexico and in some South American countries primarily as a dessert by itself or as a topping for ice cream or fruit.
(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Mountain Democrat - 7/31/1996
...a soft cheese I'd made, the other for my CAJETA. CAJETA is a sweet cheese desert.....ll also be entering a soft cheese again, my CAJETA, and my goat butter." Although..
Placerville, California   Wednesday, July 31, 1996  600 k Â
Frederick County Leader - 6/18/1999
...are a couple worth trying at Mi Rancho. The CAJETA, or fried ice cream, is different than..
Frederick, Maryland   Friday, June 18, 1999  646 k Â

Chronicle Telegram - 6/4/1998
...blackberry, Lebanese date and Mexican CAJETA. All that for just 20 cents each. At..
Elyria, Ohio   Thursday, June 04, 1998  659 k Â

Daily Report - 5/13/1970
...flan de leche, salsa cruda, crepe con CAJETA, pan dulce and cafe con leche. Mrs..
Ontario, California   Wednesday, May 13, 1970  847 k
(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
Mexico's Central Valley Contains Scenic Variety
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Sep 10, 1939. p. C4 (1 page) :
 Â  Perhaps you will set out from the village of San Miguel de Allende, perched on the mountainside surveying this great central valley, and turning southward you will travel to the thriving town of Celaya, famous for its churches, whose curiously open belfries are the signature of the great architect Tresguerras. Â here too is made the delicious "cajeta de Celaya," a milk and sugar candy that comes in little wooden boxes, dozens of which you fit into the corners of a suitcase. Â
meet manhattan
By Marilyn Hoffman. Christian Science Monitor (1908-Current file). Boston, Mass.: Sep 3, 1963. p. 10 (1 page):
 Â  We are bursting at the seams with tortillas, enchiladas, hot tamales, avocado salads, plus numerous Continental-inspired dishes since Mexico's haute cuisine has become a deft mixture of Indian, Spanish, French and other European kitchen secrets. Â Any tourist visiting Mexico can eat very well, indeed, at prices not far below those for comparable meals in the United States. Â he can order food as hot and spicy as he can stand it, or as mild and bland as the custardy nut cajeta desserts, which are traditional here. Â

Display Ad 68 -- No Title
Wall Street Journal (1889-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Apr 30, 1969. p. 19 (1 page):
We also bring Italian Dressing to the Italians. Â And Kraft Cheddar to the English and Kraft Cajeta to the Mexicans. Â
(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES)
NOTES FROM MY KNAPSACK.; NUMBER IV. MARCH RENEWED--NANA--SENORITA--NORTHEE--SAN FERNANDO--ARBOLEDO DE LOS ANGELOS--FRIENTE DEL TAJA--A CHASE--DIALOGUE--PASSAGE OF THE ALAMOS AND SABINOS--CAPITULATION OF SANTA ROSA-TROPHIES--MINING--DRAMATIC AND DIPLOMATIC.
Putnam's Monthly Magazine of American Literature, Science, and Art (1853-1857). New York: Jun 1854. Vol. VOL. III., Iss. --NO. XVIII.; p. 660 (12 pages):
Pg. 665: Â The enterprising proprietor was on a trading expedition, his stock consisting of _queso_, a sort of curd cheese, and a species of preserves, somewhat resembling marmalade, which the Mexicans call _cajeta de membrillero_. There is but a slight taste of the quince preserved, and the article would hardly establish a reputation for the _artiste_. Â It seems, however, to be a choice specimen of native manufacture, and rates (financially) accordingly.