"I'm from Missouri"--show the NY TIMES

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Feb 2 08:45:27 UTC 2004

   From Monday's (today's) NEW YORK TIMES"

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/02/opinion/02DOAK.html

In Missouri, Hard Soil and Straight Talk

By DAVID DOAK

Published: February 2, 2004

READERS' OPINIONS

WASHINGTON — A Missouri congressman once declared: "I come from a state that
raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence
neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."
More than a century later, understanding Missouri — the state where I grew up —
 begins with understanding the show-me mentality.
(...)

   Missouri Congressman Williard Van Diver didn't coin the phrase.  If he did
say this, it was in 1900, not 1899.  Our first citation is from 1897.  Van
Diver didn't even popularize "show me" in 1900, because "show me" was already
popular during the 1898 Transmississippi Exposition.  An 1898 song with this
"I'm from Missouri-Show Me" title was published by New York songwriters years
before Van Diver's alleged speech (and we don't even have a contemporary citation
for it).
   Maybe Gerald Cohen can write a letter and set the "straight talk"
straight.  If it's not from "Barry Popik," it might at least have a chance to be
published.