fireplug

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Wed Feb 4 22:25:11 UTC 2004

Hi, Luanne,
Yep, fireplug is common in southern Ohio, according to my best on-the-spot
informant (our custodian).  She's given me a couple more items for you to
check; I'll put them in context:  We swapped howdies (said hi to each
other); I'll be there if I don't end over (die); and He didn't have good
fetchins up (he wasn't brought up right).  I asked if the last term could
be used as a verb, as in You've been fetched up good, and she said no, not
in her hearing.

Two more:  We're going over to Mom 'n' 'ems (pl.).  "And them" is a common
pl. in AAVE (or maybe Gullah); is this possessive variant common outside
the South/South Midland?  Also, is the distinction between parcel/passel
and mess common?  As in: We picked a mess of beans (enough for supper) vs.
We picked a passel of beans (enough for several meals).  BTW, she
pronounced 'passel' with [a], not [AE aesh]--simply r-less 'parcel', in
other words.

Sorry, Luanne, I'm intruding on your turf!

Beverly