fireplug

Barnhart barnhart at HIGHLANDS.COM
Thu Feb 5 13:32:06 UTC 2004

Dear Luanne,

I lived my first four years in the Chicago suburbs.  It is there that I
probably heard the first references to this community institution.  My
recollection is that _fireplug_ preceded _fire hydrant_ in my lexicon.
>From age four onward I have lived in the Hudson Valley within commuting
distance of NYC.  I suspect that is where I picked up _fire hydrant_.  My
sons (12 and 13) I think use fire hydrant.  I will
take a little survey of the middle school usage for you.