all up in my kitchen

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Fri Feb 6 17:49:09 UTC 2004

Luanne, I got a response on "all up in my kitchen" and variants thereof
from a former student who lives in the Cleveland-Erie area.  I'll paste it in:

My niece, who lives & works in a suburb of Cleveland,
reports that two co-workers, native Clevelanders, have
heard the phrase. One said it's used by blacks. The
other said he hadn't heard it in a long time, & the
last time it was by a cook, race/ethnicity
unspecified.
It definitely does mean "you are in my business," but
seems to have given/be giving way to a large
assortment of other expressions which mean the same
thing. The two she gave as examples are, "They're all
up in your/my conversation," and "Do you want to know
what I had for breakfast, too?"
If you'd like me to find out more details on this
report, just lemme know. I'll pass on whatever else I hear.

Beverly