fireplug

Fri Feb 6 21:01:36 UTC 2004

>From the Brooklyn Eagle, through the Brooklyn Public Library:

The members of the Good Intent Hose Company were surprised yesterday morning, while washing their apparatus, at the debut of a large eel, which was ejected from the fire plug near their hose house, in Fourth below Chesnut street.  ***  (copied from a Philadelphia paper)  Brooklyn Eagle, July 13, 1842, p. 2

I have some notes from NYC papers of the early 1830s referring to fire hydrants as a novelty.  Nothing in these notes indicates what they looked like.  I didn't find "fire plug" in my notes through the late 1840s.

GAT

George A. Thompson
Author of A Documentary History of "The African Theatre", Northwestern Univ. Pr., 1998.