"Nautch house"/"notch house"

Sat Feb 7 12:16:33 UTC 2004

My limited resources at home concur with your analysis of "nautch" as
an mildly Anglicized version of the Hindi word for "a dance." Of
course, one of my sources is the dreaded Hippocrene Standard
English-Hindi Dictionary, which includes this typo in the front matter:
"As Q, in 'Quran,' the sacred boo of Islam." That's what I get for six
dollars.

Nautch is also well-attested to in Hobson-Jobson as "a kind of
ballet-dance performed by women," among other things. Nautch-girl is
also there.

H-J "nautch" entry:
http://tinyurl.com/yv479

H-J "nautch-girl" entry:
http://tinyurl.com/38thr

Natch, this still doesn't rule out American notch-->nautch, or
conflation of the two. I'll make a note to look into this and to pass
it on to Jon Lighter.

Cheers,

Grant Barrett
project editor, Historical Dictionary of American Slang