"Nautch house"/"notch house"

Mon Feb 9 22:53:02 UTC 2004

I've been trying to remember a citation since I saw this thread, and
I've finally got it. Robert A. Heinlein, _Stranger In a Strange Land_,
1961. "'She did everything but a nautch dance [...]'": one character
speaking of another character's seductive behavior.

(Sorry, no page number. The quote is from memory; I could find the page
in a couple of minutes if I had the book here.)

That was the first time I saw the word, and AFAIR the only place I've
ever seen it till this thread.

-- Mark A. Mandel
   Linguistic Data Consortium, University of Pennsylvania