frypan/frying pan

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Thu Feb 12 16:00:02 UTC 2004

One last follow-up (I hope):  Just last night I saw two ads in a chain
store flyer for _skillets_, both flat, colored, and probably
teflon-coated.  In fact, one was called a "French skillet," whatever that
means.  As I wrote earlier, I suspect this is the current sales term, maybe
to make the items sound fancier or more modern than the frying pans our
mothers used.  Avoiding the implications of frying is part of this too, I
think.