Boat and Royal Family: Poker Terms

Benjamin Barrett bjb5 at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Thu Feb 12 19:36:23 UTC 2004

Thanks to LH, DW and DR for their timely replies.

I play poker almost exclusively with a small number (<12) friends and have
never heard full boat, but I will cite (full) boat. I had forgotten about a
"trip" for "triplet", so I'll go back and suggest that be inserted.

I went back and asked one of my friends who also plays at commercial tables,
and he says he usually hears the royal family heard in a context such as
"I'm working on the royal family". He said he had never heard it in Las
Vegas, so perhaps this is a local regionalism (Western Washington or Puget
Sound). Having a pun, logical derivation and utility as use in poker jargon,
it seems reasonable for entry in non-regional poker use.

I will try using gas station and hotel at the next game if the opportunity
strikes. I am glad to have names for these irritating phenomena. Since I
don't hear "full" in front of boat, I wonder if these will require full as
well...

Best regards
Benjamin Barrett