Movieoke; Dry Canal; Okey Dokey Smokey; Naked Indian; Beer Belly Tree

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Feb 17 23:45:50 UTC 2004

MOVIEOKE

   This was featured on CNN.  How can I get free publicity on CNN, too?

(GOOGLE)
http://entertainment.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4459,8556658%255E7485%255E%255Enbv,00.html
Movieoke has arrived
By Sarah Baxter in New York
February 02, 2004

THE opportunity to mouth "You talkin' to me?" from Taxi Driver and "Go ahead, punk, make my day" from Dirty Harry has long been irresistible. The surprise is that movieoke, a twist on the karaoke sing-along craze, has only just arrived.

In an arty dive called the Den of Cin in New York's East Village, there is a stage in front of a flickering screen. Anastasia Fite, 24, the master of ceremonies, will both serve you a beer and help you act out your film fantasies. The club is fast becoming one of New York's hottest venues.

"As far as I know, I invented movieoke," she said. "I made a movie about three years ago about a girl who can only speak in movie lines. When I found myself running this space I decided to turn it into a social opportunity."

DRY CANAL

   My tour guide mentioned a proposed "dry canal."  There are 1,570 Google hits.
   Please, no "wet canal" retronym.

(GOOGLE)
http://www.speakeasy.org/~peterc/nicaragua/drycanal/drycanal.htm
Nicaragua, October 1996
 "Dry canal" across Nicaragua breathes new life into old dream
 By Peter Costantini
  MANAGUA — Half-buried in the sand of an isolated, palm-fringed Caribbean beach, a few old railroad wheels lie rusting. They were left at Monkey Point in 1903, local people say, by some Germans who started building a railroad across Nicaragua. They never got far, though. The project foundered, and in 1910 the U. S. Marines landed to put an end to Nicaragua's commercial flirtations with Europe and Japan.
  This summer, nearly a century later, U.S. engineering firm Parsons Brinckerhoff began a $20 million feasibility study of a "dry canal" or "land bridge" across Nicaragua. The $1.4 billion project, scheduled to break ground next year, will construct deep-water container ports and free-trade zones on the Caribbean and Pacific and connect them with a 210-mile high-speed railroad. The Caribbean terminus will be located at Monkey Point. (...)

OKEY DOKEY SMOKEY

   TWO different local tour guides here in Panama have independently used "okey dokey smokey."
   Maybe they`re smoking something here in Panama?

NAKED INDIAN

   One of the "okey dokey smokey" guides told me that it`s "naked indian" tree with him, not "peeling indian" or "tourist tree."  A search for "naked indian" on google turns up--uh, never mind.  A search for "naked indian tree" turns up:

(GOOGLE)
Comparative Distribution of the Naked Indian Tree, Bursera ... - [ Traduzca esta página ]
Please Click here to return to main page. Comparative Distribution
of the Naked Indian Tree, Bursera simaruba,. in Primary Highland ...
www.woodrow.org/teachers/esi/2000/cr2000/ Group_1/Research_Project/NakedIndian.htm - 33k - En caché - Páginas similares

Ceiba - [ Traduzca esta página ]
Naked Indian or Tourist Tree / Bursera simaruba. This species has
a wide distribution in open and deciduous rainforest. Its names ...
www.mesoamerica-travel.com/english/honduras/ ecotourism/flora/indio%20desnudo.htm - 3k - En caché - Páginas similares

BEER BELLY TREE

  "Beer belly tree" was used by a tour guide, who said it`s also "pot belly tree" or "big belly tree."

(GOOGLE)
NEWS Travel - Gateway to the oceans [July 13, 2003] - [ Traduzca esta página ]
... These include black palms, covered in nasty protective spines, and the comically
named beer-belly tree, which contains a sponge-like material inside its trunk ...
travel.news.com.au/story/0,9142,6745412-28017,00.html - 29k - En caché - Páginas similares

Caatinga vegetation in northeastern Brazil - [ Traduzca esta página ]
Caatinga The Barriguda (Pot-belly tree), Cavanillesia arborea , in
the Caatinga. Caatinga is an Indian term meaning "white forest ...
www.nybg.org/bsci/res/bahia/Caatinga.html - 2k - En caché - Páginas similares

genus Cavanillesia- -
Cavanillesia,Cavanillesia platanifolia, Quipo, Cavanillesia hylogeiton,
Cavanillesia umbellata, Cavanillesia arborea, Pot-belly tree,
www.omne-vivum.com/c/25098.htm - 8k - En caché - Páginas similares