frypan/frying pan

Indigo Som indigo at WELL.COM
Thu Feb 19 06:33:12 UTC 2004

Yes, that's what I meant: if it's a pan that's cast iron, I call it a
cast iron pan. (With or w/o hyphen is fine w/ me.) If it's a pan made
of something else, I just call it a pan, unless I specifically need
it to be a teflon pan or a non-stick pan, in which case I call it
those things. Although in our house most of the pans are cast iron,
so we usually just say pan even for the cast iron ones. If it's
deeper than about 2  or 2.5" then it becomes a pot to me. A pan is
shallow. There are also bread pans & cake pans, but since I don't use
those very often I don't have to use the words for them very often
either.

As for the other question about seasoning cast iron pans: it's all
true. A well-seasoned pan develops a smooth, black non-stick surface
that is very different from the bumpy, gray, very stick-prone surface
of a new pan. I do use the tiniest possible drop of dishsoap when
washing my cast iron pans, but the key thing is this: immediately
after washing, you put them back on the stove & heat them until all
residual water is evaporated; then you coat them with oil. (This
procedure is known in our house as "the happiness of the pans". More
than you wanted to know.)

--
Indigo Som
indigo at well.com