Antedating of schliemiel (1889)

Mon Feb 23 14:30:44 UTC 2004

The character "Schlémil" is in Offenbach's "Contes
d"Hoffman" that premiered in Paris in 1881
(composition finished in 1880).  Schlémil is certainly
a schlimiel, and I've always considered the name as
deliberatly and aptly chosen.  Offenbach probably
spoke or was at least familiar with Yiddish.  So far,
the date of the English and American premiers, which
may or may not lead to an antedating, have eluded me.

=====