swirly(1990)

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Mon Feb 23 15:50:38 UTC 2004

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Jonathon Green wrote:

> 1987 Gary A. Fine _With the Boys_ 173: The idea of a _swirly_ - sticking a
> boy’s head in a toilet (either clean or unflushed) and flushing - was
> learned by some [...] youngsters attending a summer hockey camp

Here's slightly earlier:

The Washington Post
November 23, 1986, Sunday, Final Edition
SECTION: WASHINGTON POST MAGAZINE; PAGE W11; OUT THERE

HEADLINE: Grade-School Adventures of a Real Turkey

BYLINE: Alex Heard

BODY:
... pang of doubt. "Hey, my mother is out there, waiting for this canoe
number." I might have turned back had Fate not sent three burly
sixth-graders through the door at that moment. "Swirly!" they cried as
they tore away my canoe and grabbed my ankles. "Swirly!" they screamed,
lowering me head first into the thundering toilet.

Fred Shapiro