"word"

Jerome Foster funex79 at CHARTER.NET
Mon Feb 23 17:53:20 UTC 2004

Dear linguists:

As a superannuated English major I pride myself on keeping at least a nodding acquaintance with current slang. However, there is one usage that  really confuses me- the use of the word "word." I've seen it it in the Beetle Bailey cartoon used by the African-American lieutenant so I guess it's mostly a black usage. But it was used in Yesterday's Doonesbury strip by a white character  and I've seen it used in an L.A. Times aritcle on pop music. I've tried, unsuccessfully,   to understand it from the context  of its use. I'd really appreciate it if one of you could cllarify this for me.

Thanks.

Jerome Foster