Life "as we know it" (1926)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Feb 24 07:46:09 UTC 2004

   I was just searching for the end of the world as we know it.  I feel fine.
   The phrase "as we know it" supposedly originated in the 1950s--much
earlier than the 1991 REM song--but it's earlier than that.
   Fred Shapiro might have still earlier, but I don't know it.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Chronicle Telegram - 6/10/1932
...sub You WEre discussing the state of love-LIFE, AS WE KNOW IT" "WEll." he
mused, "if.....The same friends, the home. This is nor AS strange, bu IT's
pretty good. Anyway.....lag tor the freer, eASier "Preclstly But WE are off
the.....baby hAS a new tooth. Common interests, "If IT's not the kids, IT la at le
AS habIT..
Elyria, Ohio Friday, June 10, 1932  795 k

Hammond Times - 6/24/1937
...WOULD THEN BE SIMILAR TO OUR WORLD LIFE, AS WE KNOW IT, "IF THERE IS
ATMOSPHERE.....all corresponding periods, the report said. LIFE insurance sales WE
re about 9 per cent.....pressure to flatten rushes and other plant LIFE in
shallow ponds where the mosquIToes.....penciled that he had seen all there wAS to
LIFE and lived long enough. He tied one end..
Hammond, Indiana Thursday, June 24, 1937  818 k

Hammond Times - 6/24/1937
...WOULD THEN BE SIMILAR TO OUR MAKING LIFE, AS WE KNOW IT, "IF THERE IS
ATMOSPHERE.....all corresponding periods, the report said. LIFE insurance sales WE
re about 9 per cent.....in'ariabr? are very conservative. I don't KNOW whether
they are better cITizens or not.....pressure to flatten rushes and other
plant LIFE in shallow ponds where the mosquIToes..
Hammond, Indiana Thursday, June 24, 1937  824 k

Hammond Times - 6/24/1937
...WOULD THEN BE SIMILAR TO OUft WORLD ___ LIFE, AS WE KNOW IT, "IF THERE IS
ATMOSPHERE.....Miss Gertrude Johnson, 46 wAS fighting for LIFE in the CIT hosp
ITal here today and Georg.....quotes) inly are very conservative. I don't KNOW
whether they are better cITizens or not.....all corresponding periods, the
report said. LIFE insurance sales WEre about 9 per cent..
Hammond, Indiana Thursday, June 24, 1937  820 k

Lincoln Star - 9/16/1931
...to unseen realITies. They have to interpret LIFE's values, whereAS science
interprets.....could be worse than armed conflict AS WE KNOW IT? Your letter
refers to the risht of.....and he can enjoy all of the luxuries of LIFE, AS WE
ll AS the necessITies, on much.....ITs chief consideration. You want to KNOW
IT thers is a rational order in the..
Lincoln, Nebraska Wednesday, September 16, 1931  686 k

Indiana Weekly Messenger - 12/2/1926
...LIFE, said Professor Russell, at leASt LIFE AS WE KNOW IT. "If this earth
WEre taken.....YOUNG PEOPLE AND ADULT The Message of the Book of Ruth. In
order to grASp the matter.....a region there Is no hope of looking for LIFE AS WE
KNOW IT, but there might exist.....there must be sWEpt into view the whole
book of Ruth. The lesson text which is to be..
Indiana, Pennsylvania Thursday, December 02, 1926  808 k

Monessen Daily Independent - 6/9/1932
...You WEre discussing the states of love-LIFE, AS WE KNOW IT." "WEll." he
mused, "if.....1'ou have discussed two stages of love-LIFE liverish Infatuation,
and the I'crils of.....any bones about IT" I stated. "He didn't KNOW the old
man wAS dead, but he admITted.....of us in this party hove where one watches
LIFE funnel through, particularly if one is..
Monessen, Pennsylvania Thursday, June 09, 1932  912 k