Query for TV: Early Mass. Accents? (Modified by Grant Barrett)

Grant Barrett gbarrett at AMERICANDIALECT.ORG
Tue Feb 24 16:30:01 UTC 2004

Please respond to the original sender.

Hello there

I'm wondering if you can help me? I'm writing from a leading TV
production company in the UK and am seeking advice about early American
accents. We're producing a documentary for The History Channel about
American prisoners of war in New York during the Revolutionary War and
we're using memoirs and diary accounts of the captives to stage some
dramatic reconstructions. Our two main American protagonists were both
born and raised in Massachusetts, and I'm trying to find out what kind
of accent they would have spoken with c. 1780. If there's any useful
information that you could pass on to me I would be most grateful.

With many thanks

Kind regardss

Jessica Roe
(Producer)