lisps and homosexuals

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Tue Feb 24 16:32:24 UTC 2004

I don't think this 1904 item represents a homosexual lisp. Rather it
looks like part of the speech patterns of the 1883ff.
"dudes"--brainless, well-dressed (high collar, tight pants, pointed
shoes, top hat, etc.) young men who seemed to be imitating Oscar
Wilde and what they considered to be British cultured gentlemen.

    Cartoonists and other humorists of their time had a field-day with them.

Gerald Cohen