character map

Sun Jan 4 03:36:25 UTC 2004

In OS X, there's a character palette available in the International
System Preference panel. Choose the Input Menu tab there, and you
should see it as the first option among the keyboard layouts. Click the
box next to it to turn it on. This will add a little keyboard layout
menu to your menu bar (in the US as a little American flag icon), where
it will always be available. When you choose it, it brings up a neatly
organized resizable window which will float on top of the document you
are working on.

It's particularly useful when choosing from a large Unicode font, as it
groups the characters into scripts (Basic Latin, IPA Extensions,
Phonetic Extensions, Cyrillic, Chinese, Hebrew, Hangul, Cherokee, and
many others) and will let you see if the character you want is
available in a particular font. You can then insert it directly into
your document with a button-click, or copy and paste it where you like.

Grant