All wool and a yard wide

Erin McKean editor at VERBATIMMAG.COM
Wed Jan 7 02:18:50 UTC 2004

Up until recently (and by recently, I mean at least until the 1960s,
according to pattern envelopes) standard width for fabric was 34/35
inches. So a yard wide would be slightly bigger than standard.

Older patterns give cutting layouts for 35 inch wide fabric; modern
patterns give layouts for 44/45 and 54/60 inch wide fabric. Some very
fancy fabrics are still 34/35 inches wide, especially those made on
traditional looms.

Fabric.com advertises itself as the home of the 39" yard -- perhaps that
will become lexicalized at some point? Probably not if home sewing
continues to decline ...

Erin McKean