Singular y'all (and yuz)?I

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sat Jan 10 16:26:01 UTC 2004

I don't know whether "you guys" is really analogous to "y'all".

I believe the regional plurals "youse" ("yiz") and "you-uns"
("y'uns"/"yins") are pretty much analogous to "y'all".

I've seen and heard "youse guys" many times, and here in Pittsburgh "y'uns
guys" is entirely conventional. I don't remember encountering "y'all guys".

Also: if "you guys" is essentially a plural pronoun like "y'all" or
"youse", doesn't (e.g.) "you folks" also qualify as a plural pronoun?

-- Doug Wilson