When Pigs Fly (1889); African Food

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Jan 14 13:47:52 UTC 2004

   Greetings from an unlikely computer cafe on Goree Island, Senegal.

WHEN PIGS FLY

   This came up, and we weren't even discussing the Chicago Public Library's explanation of "Windy City."  Any dates?

Decatur Daily Republican - 11/25/1889
...shooting meteora which will take place when PIGS FLY and women cease to Danville..
Decatur, Illinois   Monday, November 25, 1889  459 k

Decatur Daily Republican - 11/25/1889
...shooting meteors which will take place when PIGS FLY and women ease to Danville..
Decatur, Illinois   Monday, November 25, 1889  471 k

Decatur Daily Republican - 11/25/1889
...shooting meteora which will take place when PIGS FLY and women cease to Danville..
Decatur, Illinois   Monday, November 25, 1889  459 k

Globe - 12/11/1879
...This is the kind of weather that makes the PIGS FLY. East Atchison will have ?ix brick..
Atchison, Kansas   Thursday, December 11, 1879  241 k

AFRICAN FOOD

   I haven't seen a single cookbook yet, but should see some in Dakar soon.
   Dogon Country (Mali) was a great experience.  The Dogons are famous for their charting of the Dog Star.  Less well known is that "Tad Dogon" coined the word "hot dog."  You just can't find all this good stuff on Google.
   This was the African menu at the Hotel Plaza in Bamako, Mali:

Saga-Saga (Sauce epinard)
Domoda (Sauce Tomate)
Soupe Kandia (Sauce aux Gombo)
Maffe (Sauce Arachide)
Fonia
Yassa (Sauce Oignon Poulet)
Tiep o Diem (Riz au Gras Poissons)

(OT: My diet here has been Captaine fish and pizza.)