"slobbery," n.

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Tue Jan 20 19:14:45 UTC 2004

 From a review by Peter Mandler of The A-Z Guide to Modern British
History in the 1/9 TLS: "[The topic of sitcoms] could have provided
the opportunity for another juicy diatribe agains present-day
slobbery...."

This one is new to me (and hard to search on, given the use of the
word as an adjective), but I did find an 8/30/03 article in the
Spectator entitled "Class Slobbery," and a review of Batman in the
Manchester Guardian Weekly of 8/20/89 which contains what looks like
the same use, though the context isn't very revealing:  "[T]he girls,
it seems, like the macho slobbery as much as the men." Does anyone
know how long has this been around and whether it's strictly British.
Is it established, or just one of those puns that keep getting
reinvented by clever journalists -- i.e., a nonce and again word?

Geoff Nunberg