Shito and Red Red and Tom Brown and T.Z.

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Jan 23 00:50:07 UTC 2004

 Â  Greetings from Accra, Ghana. Â I have ten hours in the Lagos airport as I travel home.
ENTOMOLOGY OF A "BARGAIN"--At the kente cloth place, our tour guide told us to "go buggin'." Â I've got this Ghana dialect down.
MAMMY WAGON--The revised OED has a 1950s citation, but I'm sure I can find earlier.
HAVE A NICE HAIR--Seen on a road sign ad. Â "A nice hair?"
GHANAIANS LOVE JESUS--Churches are all over this place. Â Even the business names reflect this. Â Some examples we found:
GOD'S GIFT SPARE PARTS
HOLY SPIRIT AUTO PARTS
LORD WILL PROVIDE CATERING SERVICE
THANK YOU JESUS WORK SHOP
SON OF MAN BOOK SHOP
GOD FIRST REFRIGERATION SERVICE
JESUS NEVER FAILS MOTORS
LIVING FAST FOOD
CASHEW BUTTER--Seen here.
GROUNDNUT PASTE--Local name for peanut butter.
DONUTS--"Donut holes" are called "donuts."
GHANA SPECIALTIES ON TONIGHT'S MENU:
"RED RED"--black-eyed beans stew with ripe plaintain
 Â  ("Red Red" is from the two red components of this very popular dish. Â Not in OED, of course--ed.)
KAKROO--fried plantain balls served with bambara beans
JOLLOF RICE--aromatic rice cooked in rich curry sauce with chicken, beef or fish
"BALCK STAR"--Kontomire sauce with beef or chick with rice, plantain or yam
"BRAIN TEASERS"--Fanti Kenkey with fried or grilled snapper and Ghanaian pepper sauce
GROUNDNUT SOUP
PEPPER SOUP
BANKU WITH OKRO STEW
 Â  ("Banku" is not in OED. Â Just miserable on food terms--ed.)
GARI FOTO--cassava grains stir fried in red sauce served with black-eyed beans
 Â  Â
SHITO
 Â  Served everywhere and in most stores. Â Not in the OED, as with many of these terms. Â Just awful.
(GOOGLE)
http://www.ghanadata.com/overview/food/populardishes/
Fufu
This thick starchy food is made from freshly boiled cassava, boiled green plantains, or boiled yams.

Traditionally fufu is made by repeatedly pounding the boiled cassava, yam or plantain in a large mortar and pestle, usually by two people, one person seated to turn the fufu in the mortar and the other standing and pounding with the pestle. It takes a lot of skill and experience to master turning the fufu in time with the pounding. It's interesting to see the speed at which this done as one false move could result in severe bruising. Where this tedious method is not practical, substitutes such as powered plantain or cassava are used.

Served with any number of soups such as palm nut or peanut soup, it has a very subtle flavour and tastes a bit like dumplings.
Shito (Hot Pepper Sauce)
Hot pepper sauce or Shito, as is it commonly called in Ghana, is served with most dishes. There are two types, fresh shito which is made with tomatoes, onions and fresh peppers and preserved shito which is made from fried dried fish and chilli peppers The ingredients are usually ground rather than blended to give a rough texture to the sauce.
Kelewele (Fried plantain)
Kelewele is one of the most popular street foods in Ghana. It is a spicy dessert of fried over-ripe plantains in long chips seasoned with ground chilli pepper and ginger.
Banku
Banku is made with fermented corn (maize) or cassava dough. They are dumplings that are generally made without herbs or spices and are served with stews or spicy sauces.
 Â  Â
TOM BROWN
 Â  See the following Google hits for "Tom Brown" and "Ghana." Â This breakfast dish is not in OED.
Thanksgiving 1999 – A Visit to Ghana and the Atsina Charity ...
... AIDS is a serious problem in Ghana and George normally refers these ... Tuesday, November
23, 1999 For breakfast we had "Tom Brown," tomatoes, meatballs (ground ...
www.rose-hulman.edu/~waitel/ACMC_visit.html - 47k - Cached - Similar pages

[PDF] Value-Added Cowpea-Based Food Products and Food Security in West ...
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
... 04) WA2-A1 12 6. Instant Tom Brown products-'Tom ... has been made to Fan Milk, Ghana,
Ltd ... inquired about commercializing 'Tom Flakes' – a breakfast cereal flake ...
www.isp.msu.edu/CRSP/Workplans%20for%20FY04/wA2-a1.PDF - Similar pages

BETUMI . African Cuisine
... eaten in many parts of Ghana, usually fried ... Another common breakfast food is porridge,
made from ... cornmeal (koko), roasted ground corn ("Tom Brown"), "rice water ...
www.betumi.com/home/gastro-fulltext.html - 101k - Cached - Similar pages

Do U Remember?
... Foods at the dining hall were composed mainly of Tom Brown, "Topo" (Gari ... HE HE HE
GHANA PEOPLE ... education) but as soon as the drums roll for breakfast , we all ...
www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/ ghana/news/REM/2001.html - 73k - Cached - Similar pages

Tico Ethnobotanical Dictionary -- T
... Ochi, a chocolate and cornmeal beverage, is a frequent breakfast beverage ... C) . The
black pulp of the fruit is said to be eaten in Ghana. ... Tom Brown: Tamarindus (E ...
www.ars-grin.gov/duke/dictionary/tico/t.html - 52k - Cached - Similar pages

TrekShare
... breakfast concoction by the name of Tom Brown was often ... On several occasions breakfast
came to an abrupt an ... and plantain blob common to Ghana) blockage from ...
www.trekshare.com/index.cfm?p1=25&trip_id=631 - 62k - Cached - Similar pages
T.Z.
 Â  "Tuo Zaafi," or "T.Z." Â Not in OED--which doesn't pay me for any of this. Â Not even part of one rice ball.
(GOOGLE)
African Parliamentary Union
... Ghana has five public University and other private Universities. ... The main dishes of
this region include “TZ”or “Tuo Zaafi” rice ball or Omo Tuo” with ...
www.parliament.gh/APU/APU_English/about.ghana.htm - 27k - Cached - Similar pages
ghanatourism.gov.gh
... The main dishes of the Northern Region include “TZ or “Tuo Zaafi”
rice balls or “Omo Tuo” with groundnut or green leaves soups,. ...
www.ghanatourism.gov.gh/regions/ region_detail.asp?sec=FOOD - 44k - Cached - Similar pages
2. Background information on Ghana
... to improve the texture of the prepared food or as a cheaper supplement, and then
referred to as tuozaafi (TZ), the traditional dish in the North of Ghana. ...
www.fao.org/WAIRdocs/x5426e/x5426e03.htm - 30k - Cached - Similar pages