antedating of "paper weight"(1827)

James Knight, MLIS jlk at 3GECKOS.NET
Sat Jan 24 04:43:52 UTC 2004

Your citation: Monday, Mar 26, 1827; pg. 4; Issue 13236; col D

Also in the Times...

Tuesday, Mar 19, 1822; pg. 4; Issue 11508; col A
Sales by Auction
-- By Mr. OXENHAM... portemontris, tripods, bougeoirs, and paper weights,
formed of rich chased [or]-moulu ...

-jk

At 04:15 PM 1/23/04, you wrote:
>OED/M-W have 1858.
>
>26 March 1827. _Times, London_ Page uncertain, col. 4.
>
><<two small Egyptian vitrified figures, and a paper weight of marble,
>surmounted by a horse in brass;>>
>
>(from an auction description of items belonging to the Duke of York)
>
>SC

James L. Knight
Pourvoyeur et Chef du Cuisine, Chateau des Trois Geckos

"This is the sort of English up with which I will not put."
_ Winston Churchill _

jlk at 3geckos.net
http://www.3geckos.net
360 378 9254