Roach Coach (1970); Rough Guide to West Africa  (West African food terms)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jan 25 01:32:46 UTC 2004

 Â  Greetings from New York University in...New York, is it?
 Â  I've been gone about three weeks, and the ProQuest LOS ANGELES TIMES hasn't been added to. Â The 1956 article links are now available, but there's still a gap from 1953 through 1955. Â Maybe ProQuest took a long holiday?
ROACH COACH
 Â  Â  Â
 Â  I was asked about "roach coach" before. Â This is earlier. Â Clearly, the term was used In Vietnam.
 Â  This book has no date. Â "1969" is used in the print, so the book is probably from 1970. Â It reports on activities in the 1960s.
(CATNYP)
Author
United States. Naval Support Activity (Ða N˜ang, Vietnam)
Title
Naval support I-Corps Vietnam; Danang, Cua Viet-Dong Ha, Tan My-Hue, Phu Bai, Chu Lai, Sa Huynh.
Imprint
[Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, Printed by Dai Nippon Print. Co., 1970?]
Pg. 88: Â Its Food Services Branch operates both gallies and mobile food vans known jokingly as "roach coaches." Â These mobile gallies serve 3000 hot meals daily throughout the Danang area.
THE WHOLE NINE YARDS (continued)
 Â  I don't know if I'll visit the War College in Carlisle, PA on Monday. Â I guess I will. Â Make your requests again.
 Â  The above book did NOT have "nine yards."
 Â  I also read Susan Sheehan's TEN VIETNAMESE (NY: Alfred A. Knopf, 1969, but copyrighted articles are from 1966 and 1967). Â Pp. 75-104 is the chapter "A Montagnard." Â NO "yard" is mentioned in the book.
 Â  China Beach was previously called "White Elephant," and the Naval Support Activity I-Corps published a WHITE ELEPHANT NEWS in the 1960s. Â OCLC WorldCat doesn't record WHITE ELEPHANT NEWS, but maybe the War College has it. Â That's probably our best shot.
ROUGH GUIDE TO WEST AFRICA
1274 pages, paperback, $29.95
Fourth edition November 2003
 Â  All I saw at the local Barnes & Nobles before I left was the LONELY PLANET GUIDE TO WEST AFRICA, but I found the ROUGH GUIDE TO WEST AFRICA just today. Â Djenne (Mali)--where I recently visited--is on the cover.
 Â  ROUGH GUIDE is absolutely fantastic for African food terms. Â It beats LONELY PLANET by far. Â Each country also has a glossary. Â
 Â  For example:
Pp. 53- 57 (BASICS): Â EATING AND DRINKING
Pg. 101 (Mauritania): Â EATING AND DRINKING
Pp. 157-159 (Senegal): Â EATING AND DRINKING
Pg. 158 (Senegal): Â WOLOF FOOD TERMS
Pp. 255-256 (The Gambia): Â EATING AND DRINKING
Pg. 255 (The Gambia): Â MANDINKA FOOD AND DRINK TERMS
Pg. 319 (Mali): Â EATING AND DRINKING
Pp. 417-418 (Cape Verde): Â EATING AND DRINKING
Pg. 418 (Cape Verde): Â PORTUGUESE AND KRIOLU FOOD TERMS
Pp. 493-494 (Guinea-Bissau): Â EATING AND DRINKING
Pp. 540-541 (Guinea): Â EATING AND DRINKING
Pp. 604-606 (Sierra Leone): Â EATING AND DRINKING
Pg. 605 (Sierra Leone): Â KRIO FOOD AND DRINK TERMS
Pg. 659 (Burkina Faso): Â EATING AND DRINKING
Pp. 731-733 (Ghana): Â EATING AND DRINKING
Pg. 732 (Ghana): Â GHANAIAN FOOD TERMS AND DISHES
Abenkwan...Palm nut soup (Akan)
Aduane...Food (Akan)
Akawadu...Banana (Akan)
Akokoh...Chicken (Akan)
Amadaa...Fried ripe plantain (Ga)
Ampesi...Plantain and yam
Banku...Corndough, good with groundnut soup
Bodie (kokoo)...(Ripe) plantain (Akan)
Boflot...Doughnut (north)
Borodo/Panu...Bread (Akan)
Ekwei bemi...Boiled, sweetened corn kernels
Enam...Meat (Akan)
Fufu...Yam mash
Gari...Cassava grated and dried
Gari foto...Gari dish, mixed with palm oil and other ingredients
Kelewele...Spicy fried ripe plantain with stew
Khosay...Bean cakes (north)
Klaklo...Ripe plantain dough, deep-fried
Koko...Corn or millet porridge with milk and sugar
Kokonte...Cassava meal (Akan)
Kontumbre...Cocoyam leaves
Kyinkyinga...Beef with vegetable sauce (Hausa)
Momone...Sun-dried fish (Akan)
Nsuomnam...Fish (Akan)
Ode...Yam (Akan)
Omo tuo...Mashed rice balls with soup or stew, usually served Sundays only (also written _Emo_ or _Amo tuo_)
Rice water...Rice pudding, often for breakfast
Shito...Pepper soup (ga)
Suya...Small shish kebab
Tatare...Ripe platain, pounded and fried
TZ (Tozafi)...Millet mush (north)
Waachi...Rice and red beans  (No "Red Red" here?--ed.)
Pg. 731 (Ghana): Â EATING AND DRINKING. Â Plantains are used a lot in Ghanaian cooking and, together with beans, groundnuts, rice, fresh and dried fish, guinea fowl (especially in the north) and grasscutter (the large, tasty (Pg. 732--ed.) Â rodent, also known as bush rat, hunted mainly in the south), supply the basis of one of West Africa's best national cuisines.
Pp. 825-826 (Togo): Â EATING AND DRINKING
Pp. 886-887 (Benin): Â EATING AND DRINKING
Pg. 945 (Niger): Â EATING AND DRINKING
Pp. 1006-1007 (Nigeria): Â EATING AND DRINKING
Pg. 1007 (Nigeria): Â NIGERIAN FOOD
STAPLES
Apu...
Amala...
Eba...
Fufu...
Pounded yam...
Tuo...
MAIN DISHES
Akara...
Begiri...
Bitter leaf...
Bush meat...
Cowleg...
Dodo...
Draw Soup...
Egusi...
Eja gbigbe...
Igbin...
Jollof rice...
Moin-moin...
Okro...
Pepper soup...
Soup...
Stockfish...
Suya...
Pp. 1150-1151 (Cameroon): Â EATING AND DRINKING
Pg. 1150 (Cameroon): Â DISHES AND STAPLES
Bongo tchobi...
Bobolo...
Miondo...
Ndole...